Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Love New York Drivers(?!)

I have to admit, the city of New York can be scary place.  Once you get used to it though, there's a lot of New York that I love; people watching at Union Square, the free ferry from Staten Island to the city, I even find the NY Rangers fans endearing.  And do I dare say the NY Yankees fans?Theater, museums, gastronomiques...tis a grand place!  I can live with the smell of urine on the streets, the graffiti on the wall, the exorbitant toll fees.  What I cannot stand here are some of those drivers that think they own the road.  Granted, I'm not a perfect driver, I make my share of mistakes, but the following I think are egregious disregard to others on the road.  I've listed a few examples below.

1.  A double solid line that separates the exit only lane from the rest of the freeway can be crossed and you can make your own lane.  Who do you think you is?  The last time I checked, not only is it a moving violation, but I think it's extremely dangerous.  Laws are put into place for safety reasons, not suggestions. 
2.  The HOV lane is for people with 2+ people in the car, not one person with a huge head.  Just cause you're an egomaniac and think that these laws don't apply to you doesn't mean you deserve to go into the HOV lane just because you need to go home.  Guess what?  Most everyone on the road is rushing to go home at that time too, that's why it's rush hour.  And if you're late, be late.  It's better to be late than getting a ticket or being dead, or even worse, killing someone else.
3.  Okay, so I admit, from time to time, I may go over the speed limit, but honestly, not by much.  That being said, when I'm in the left hand lane, you see me coming from behind, I'm catching up and no one is in front of you, for crying out loud, "Move b----, get out the way, b----, get out the way!!!"  It's not like I'm barrelling down the road, if you're driving below the speed limit, have some courtesy and get out of the fast lane.
4.  Honking your horn as soon as the light turns green will make me want to delay my process of getting over to the other side of the intersection.  What kind of rush are you in that you have to go from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds as soon as the light turns green?  Not only is it inefficient in gas mileage, it probably wears heavy on your engine, it really is irritating.
5.  Taxi cab drivers are the bane of my existance.  I thought Las Vegas drivers were bad.  I was mistaken.  They are just fast.  Here, the cabbies are not the greatest drivers.  They cut you off, they don't let you in, they drive slooooooooooow on the expressways or on the interstate but go 50 mph or more in the city when there are pedestrians.  Granted, I'm making a general statement and I'm lumping them all together, but I have yet to have a positive interaction with them...oh, there was one cabbie that did let me in, but I think he was new.
6.  As much as I have complained about the drivers here, I want to end with this...When there is an emergency vehicle coming from behind, move over!  It could be your loved one in that vehicle.  You not moving over could be life and death for that person.  I could sound a lot more mean about this, but I am trying to show a little self-restraint here.  And for the love of everything that is holy, don't follow the path of the emergency vehicle.  You could get a ticket.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you REALLY restrained yourself on #6. I know, I've HEARD your screams as you bang on your closed window at the knuckleheads who don't move out of the way of an emergency vehicle. Really, quite restrained here. Really.

    ReplyDelete